Wednesday, October 31, 2012

photos and update

Haitian snake oil
HI EVERYONE I am having a frustrating time with blogging, please bear with me, I don´t now whether you have received multiple copies of an entry that I can´t seem to brighten the print on so it is basically illegible.  Please excuse the nuisance.  I am going to carry on because now I am over a week behind in entries and I have wasted hours trying to fix the last one.

I am so heartbroken to hear bits and pieces about the storm, aching for NYC.  Our few days of flooding is nothing iin comparison to this blitz.

Oven


finished product, great when warm with some strong sweet black coffee

My notes in kreyol, sorry can´t turn them around
Last night I slept in the clinic residence and was awakened at 6 am for another birth.  This one, although another first baby, went quickly, I am watching and helping, learning the routine.  The next episiotomy will be mine.  Most women get pitocin to hussle the contractions, speed up the birth.  The nurses act as midwives, confident, skilled, compassionate and joking away as we slide on the mix of blood, betadine and amniotic fluid that misses the big bucket.
The clinic was bustling this morning, several wounds to sew, a crazy girl came in, another case of kout wanga or being possessed by a spell someone cast, as I explained in my last entry that you most likely could not read. Her family had tied her hands in front of her so she couldn´t hurt herself or anyone else.  We had run out of IV valium, so I gave her promethazine to help her sleep and my translator, an ardent evangelist, advised her to go to church.
Psycho photo from my bike, shot by mistake

A bit difficult to get a history on this woman who was a deaf mute that nobody  knew
Me and Jeramy studying kreyol and english, respectively
baskets for catching fish
Fresh catch drying in the sun on conch shells
Love truck

No comments:

Post a Comment